To Yonsei
Program information for students visiting Yonsei from Japan and China
From Yonsei
Program information for students visiting Japan and China from Yonsei
Board
Notice Gallery Alumni Q&A
Contact Us
Yonsei Osaka Peking Shanghai Jiao Tong Tshinghua Tianjin Univ.of TCM
Yonsei University College of Medicine Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Peking University Health Science Center Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine Tianjin University of TCM Tsinghua University School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology Tsinghua University School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology Tsinghua University School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology

Alumni

Osaka Unversity Faculty of Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine
Kono Kaede
  • 방문대학 및 학과 연세대학교 보건학과
  • 방문기간 2018/02/11 ~ 2018/03/02

My background is nutrition and epidemiology. Also, I have a license of the registered dietitian. So I decided to apply to this program for learning epidemiology more deeply and comparing the way of approach to people’s health with Japan.

Contents of the program: Study part

I took three lectures by professors. In the first lecture, I learned health problem in Korea and how social economic status affect people's health. In the second lecture, I learned about occupational health and each responsibility of the Government, employers, and workers. The last lecture was "linking mental health and physical health". I learned two linkages that are changing health behaviors and biological alterations. I got many aspects of public health to compare with Korea and Japan.

Moreover, I visited and observed the research site of the CMERC cohort study. I learned the overall process of follow-up and the contents of the questionnaire. The process was similar to the Japanese one. However, the way how to check the body condition is different from Japan. It was interesting that the way is different depends on the country.

I also participated in the hospital tour. I was impressed by the International Health Care Center which provides quality medical care to foreigners. Also, the whole building was not like "hospital" for the patient's comfort.

The last day, I delivered the final presentation to professors about my research. Thanks to great professors, I had a lively discussion. 

Contents of the program: Cultural part

I joined the traditional tour and took Korean language classes. I joined the traditional tour planned by Ms. Kim (the coordinator of the Campus Asia program). I wore the traditional costume of Korea "Chima jeogori", walked around the palace "Gyeongbokgung", enjoyed the Korean dishes, and tried Korean calligraphy. As for the Korean language, my teacher was very kind, so I enjoyed learning every time. I'll continue to study after I come back to Japan. In addition, I had a trip to Busan with participants of the program. I visited the artistic village "Gamcheon Culture Village", beautiful sea coast "Igidae Natural Park", and so on. And of course, I tried Korean food when not only when I eat out, but also when I eat at the cafeteria at my dormitory. Some of them were similar to the Japanese style, but I love all of the Korean food. Someday I want to be able to cook.

My interests 

In my stay in Yonsei, I interested in the dietary reference intakes of Korea because I saw the nutrition facts every day. I found some difference between Korea and Japan. For example, the standard of sodium intake is the same as the standard of WHO. It means that it is a more strict level than Japan even that Korean diet includes also salty food same as Japan. Moreover, I saw the sign for "Green food area" in Seoul city. It indicates that all areas around elementary schools don't allow to sell the foods which have a bad effect on children's health. I realized again it is important that improvement the environment for people's health. Therefore, after I graduate, I want to contribute such improvement from the viewpoint of the dietitian.

Lastly, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to everyone for giving me a chance to stay here. Also, I spent a lot of time with Chinese participants from the same laboratory, Ms. Wang and Ms. Yan. I would like to give them a special thanks. We talked a lot about own thoughts, culture, and feelings in Korea with each other. Including the time out of the program's timetable, I spent precious time very much.